Our home has slowly developed an obsession for elderflower, ever since I first took André to Romania and he tried elderflower lemonade. He absolutely loved it and that made me regain a love for it too. Because what´s more magical than having your partner fall in love with your heritage? As such, every time we go to Romania, we end up drinking all the elderflower lemonade we can. And if we find ourselves there in summer, we´ll fill our car trunk with the flower and make our own back in Portugal.
So last year, when we discovered @dealurileuilei ´s elderberry jam we just had to try it! Sure, we also bought some elderflower syrup from them, some hot chilli marmalade, some pickled tarragon and much more – because Dealurile Uilei does everything to utter perfection (check our their products on their Facebook page here – they ship internationally!). But the elderberry jam has proven to be the utter superstar of the lot. And as such, it´s the star of this #homemadeMonday. Read on to discover my recipe for the easiest elderberry pie with apples and strawberries.
230g pie dough
300ml elderberry jam
1. If you´re storing the pie dough in the fridge, take it out for 5-10 minutes before using it. In the meantime pre-heat the oven at 220 degrees.
2. Fold up about 1cm of the margin of the pie to create elevated margins. Smear the inside of it with elderberry jam.
3. Place the pie on a tray with baking paper in the oven for 25 minutes while you´re cutting the apples in half moon slices.
3. After the 25 minutes are up, remove the pie, place the apples in a circle on the part with the jam, leaving the centre free for the strawberries. Bake it for 15 to 20 more minutes more, always keeping an eye on it.
4. Once the pie is baked, let it cool for 10 minutes and add the strawberries in the centre of it. Enjoy while it´s still warm!