I still remember the first time I made a couscous salad for André. As he took his first bites, I expectantly stared at him waiting for an “ooh” and an “aah”. When nothing came, I nervously asked: “So? Do you like it? Should I make it again?”. He thought about it for a second and replied “Uhm, sure, baby. It´s nice. You can make it again. And I can make the food we really love, like fajitas and lasagna”. Disappointing to say the least, considering how much I love experimenting in the kitchen. My couscous adventure didn´t stop there though. I kept experimenting until my couscous salad actually became André´s favourite meal. And so, the time has come for me to share it with you on this #homemadeMonday.
100 g couscous
200 ml water
a red pepper
half a zucchini
8 cherry tomatoes
a tsp tandoori paste
fresh basil leaves
two tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper
1. Chop your vegetables into small cubes.
2. Heat the olive oil in a pan and add the chopped carrots. Fry for five minutes while continuously stirring.
3. Add the zucchini and pepper to the pan and fry for another five minutes. Next add the tomatoes, salt and pepper and finally the tandoori paste. Fry for three more minutes, always stirring.
4. While your veggies are frying, bring the water to a boil, add the couscous to it and cover with a lid for five minutes.
5. Once the couscous has absorbed all the water, mix it with the veggies and decorate it with the finely chopped basil leaves. Optional: add some feta cheese for a perfect taste!