It´s been almost nine years, but I still vividly remember the first club sandwich I ever ate. It was on the Spanish coast, on a clod but sunny winter day and it was monstrous. I felt the size of it defied the laws of gravity and that at the same time it was too much of a work an art to be eaten. I did, however eat it, and loved the combinations of flavours. I still order it every now and then again but somehow never chose to make it at home. Until this #homemadeMonday – because I think we all need a little bit of break from fancy holiday dishes.
chicken breast strips
cheese (I used island cheese but cheddar works wonders)
greek yogurt + garlic (for the sauce)
salt and pepper
1. Boil your egg according to your preferences (I boiled it for some solid 8 minutes as I prefer it hard) and fry the chicken strips in a bit of olive oil as well as a couple of strips of bacon until they are as crunchy or soft as you like them.
2. Crush 2 garlic cloves and mix them with 100g of greek yogurt, half a teaspoon of olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper.
3. Spread a toast with the garlic sauce, then add two leaves of salad, a couple of stripes of the fried bacon and two slices of tomato.
4. Add another toast on top and spread it with garlic sauce. Add the fried chicken strips as well as the boiled egg and finally the sliced cheese, before adding the final toast.
5. Pierce with a wooden toothpick to hold together and enjoy with some chips and a cold drink.