This #homemadeMonday brings you a recipe inspired by one of my favourite Italian restaurants in town – a colourful and creamy risotto that will delight your senses and your Instagram feed. The gorgeous yellow colour is due to the saffron, and the creaminess is thanks to the cream cheese and butter. While it is a bit time consuming to make (you need to be next to the pot for pretty much the entire time you´re cooking it), it is perfect as both a main dish as well as a side dish next to a nice piece of steak or chicken breast. I chose to accompany it with octopus in the oven. Before giving you this ultra secret recipe, I just wanna say that this and my avocado risotto (recipe coming soon) are my favourite rice recipes out there and I´m super happy to share it with all of you.
300 g risotto rice
two rice Knorr cubes
50 ml white wine
100 g cream cheese
50 g butter
half a lemon
a tbsp saffron
three tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper
1. Chop the onion and add it to a medium sized pot (ideally 3l) along with two tablespoons of olive oil. Fry until the onion is golden.
2. Add the rice and fry for a minute, stirring continuously. Next, add the wine and keep stirring until it evaporates., then add enough water to cover the rice and add the saffron and the Knorr cube. Stir while the water evaporates.
3. Once the water has evaporated, add another bit of water and keep stirring. Repeat this operation until you only have a last round of water on the side.
4. Before adding the last bit of water add the cream cheese and butter, stirring continuously.
5. Finally add the last bit of water, and as it evaporates squeeze the lemon and season with salt and pepper.
6. Accompany with either chicken, steak or octopus and season with some parmesan if you´re as cheesy as I am.