A thing about me: I love stuffed veggies. Sure, they have little utility, but I just love the process of carving them. It reminds me of carving pumpkins for Halloween with my grandpa. And then there´s the aspect – they just look like adorable little boats, ready to set sail for our stomachs. And while the carving is a bit time consuming and when not done properly you can also lose quite a bit of the veggie (which goes against my #minimalistcooking philosophy), I do love doing these recipes every now and then. As such, this #homemadeMonday brings you my very own stuffed zucchini boat recipe.
150g of minced meat
two small carrots
one large zucchini
a red onion
four cloves of garlic
150g of tomato sauce
parmesan to season
salt and pepper
1. Pre-heat the oven at 200 degrees for 15 minutes. During this time, chop the onion and the carrots.
2. Cut the zucchini (lengthwise) in two and carve out the insides, trying to get it out in little bite sized cubes.
3. Once the zucchini is carved, season the “boats” with salt, pepper and olive oil and add them to the oven for 15 minutes.
4. Use the 15 minutes to take care of the filling: fry the onion and the garlic until golden, then add the carrot. Fry for 5 minutes, then add the zucchini, meat and tomato sauce. Stir and fry for ten more minutes, while seasoning with salt and pepper.
5. Take the boats out of the oven and stuff them with the filling. Bake for five more minutes. Remove from the oven, grate some parmesan cheese on top and serve!