Perhaps one of my most prized family possessions is this old cooking book which 40 years ago must have been present in every single Romanian household – Silvia Jurcovan´s Carte de Bucate. It was initially my grandma´s, then my mom´s and when I turned 27 my mom gave it to me. Inside its yellow pages, I found more yellow pages, with short and simple dessert recipes, hand written by my grandma and collected from her various friends and relative. That gave me the idea to make my grandma this month´s honorary #guestchef. In her honour I made a simple strawberry cake and improved on it with a cocoa cream and some decorative strawberries. It is so simple to make, tasted deliciously and looked so great, my grandma would have surely loved it. I hope you do too.
For the cake
a tbsp baking powder
For the icing
150g Philadelphia cream cheese
200g icing sugar
a tbsp cocoa powder
1. Mix the eggs with the softened butter and sugar until obtaining a homogeneous paste.
2. Mix the milk with the baking powder and add it to the paste along with the flour. Mix well until obtaining a soft dough.
3. Butter a springform pan (I used a 21cm one) and sprinkle with flour or line it with parchment paper.
4. Pour your dough in the pan and stick some 300g strawberries in it.
5. Bake in the oven at 200 degrees for some 40 minutes.
6. In the meantime use a mixer to beat the Philadelphia cream cheese, butter, icing sugar and cocoa powder into a cream.
7. Spread the cream on top of the cake and decorate with strawberries.