Spending three weeks on the Spanish coast meant : 1. I finally got a bit of a tan and 2. I absolutely abused on their delicious food. And since we last spoke about Costa Brava, let´s speak about the Spaniards´ delicious dish of “patatas bravas”. Essentially meaning “spicy potatoes”, this dish is as simple as it gets and I won´t insult you by showing you how to make the potatoes (just cut them in cubes and fry them). Buuuuut I will give you a super easy recipe for the sauce that is sometimes also used over seafood, and that to be frank you can just put on top of anything. So here goes…
two garlic cloves
a veggie Knorr cube
two tsp red pepper paste
a pinch of spicy (in sauce or grain, whatever you prefer)
two tbsp olive oil
a pinch of salt and pepper
20g of flour
1. Finely chop the onion and the garlic and fry them until golden in a pan with the olive oil, a pinch of salt and pepper.
2. Add the red pepper paste and your pinch of spicy (I added a s few drops of spicy sauce) and stir until it incorporates with the rest.
3. Add the flour to the whole mixture and stir until the onion absorbs it, then add 230g of hot water, stirring to ensure that the whole mixture is homogenous.
4. Add the crumbled Knorr cube and bring to a boil/simmer at low heat. Let it simmer until the sauce reaches the desired consistency.
5. Serve over hot patatas bravas, or mussels, or really anything else.